Q&A #1154

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Front End Estimation

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Kelly Wheeler

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003073023:03:10
Subject: Re: Front End Estimation

Estimation is different from Rounding due to the fact that Rounding compensates for the next smaller Significant Digit whereas Estimation doesn't. This means that Estimation can be performed more quickly. It can also be implemented in systems that don't have access to the subsequent digits (speaking of digital circuits). In your 4th grader's situation: 345+556 would, by FEE, be 300 + 500 = 800 or 340 + 550 = 890 The resolution is always an issue in all estimations. Example: I have two cups of ingredients to mix. Do I need a quart or gallon container? The resolution would be cups. However, if I only have a half a quart container or less, I should estimate the cups of ingredients. Are they full cups or half cups? The resolution needed is absolutely necessary in these equations and are far too often forgotten by teachers (and therefore their students). This leads to incorrect answers and frustrated students (and parents). Kelly

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®