Q&A #1154

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Front End Estimation

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Kelly Wheeler

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003073023:20:56
Subject: Re: Front end estimation

I would claim that using FEE it would be: 65,944 - 3,764 65,000 - 3,000 = 68,000 My reasoning: the most significant digit of the smallest number should determine the minimum resolution. Again, if the units are in miles the maximum resolution should be the minimum. But if the units are in milliliters for a mixture, you may want to increase resolution to 65,900 + 3,700 = 69,600 which can still be done in my head in under 4 seconds. This is another important part to estimations. If it takes too long to estimate in your head and you need a calculator, then just use maximum precision. So, using the first four or more digits is pushing estimation. Kelly

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®