From: Kelly Wheeler <the5@pacbell.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003073022:20:56
Subject: Re: Front end estimation

  I would claim that using FEE it would be:

65,944 - 3,764
65,000 - 3,000 = 68,000

  My reasoning:  the most significant digit of the smallest number
should determine the minimum resolution.
  Again, if the units are in miles the maximum resolution should be
the minimum.  But if the units are in milliliters for a mixture, you
may want to increase resolution to 65,900 + 3,700 = 69,600 which can
still be done in my head in under 4 seconds.

  This is another important part to estimations.  If it takes too long
to estimate in your head and you need a calculator, then just use
maximum precision.  So, using the first four or more digits is pushing
estimation.

Kelly

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question