Q&A #1154

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Front End Estimation

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Melanie

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003102619:36:41
Subject: Rounding Does the Same Thing - Only Better

Hi, This same problem you suggest could be addressed by rounding to the nearest tenth. This gives an even more accurate estimate of $2.40. If I was watching my pennies very closely I would use this method or take a calculator to the store. I came across this site because my son (5th grade) has once again brought this home and is completely confused. I was looking for an explanaition as he didn't bring his book home. He is very bright & does well in math but I end up reexplaining rounding to him every time this comes up. I doubt that the average child ever gets it and is probably just memorizing and regurgitating to get through it. Both my husband and I work in technical fields and have never heard of this. I do use a form of this method instinctively when shopping but think it is confusing and useless to kids. It would be much better to teach rounding and leave it at that.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®