From: Melanie <mmt108@juno.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003102619:36:41
Subject: Rounding Does the Same Thing - Only Better

Hi,

This same problem you suggest could be addressed by rounding to the
nearest tenth.  This gives an even more accurate estimate of $2.40.
If I was watching my pennies very closely I would use this method or
take a calculator to the store.

I came across this site because my son (5th grade) has once again
brought this home and is completely confused.  I was looking for an
explanaition as he didn't bring his book home.  He is very bright &
does well in math but I end up reexplaining rounding to him every time
this comes up.  I doubt that the average child ever gets it and is
probably just memorizing and regurgitating to get through it.

Both my husband and I work in technical fields and have never heard of
this.  I do use a form of this method instinctively when shopping but
think it is confusing and useless to kids.  It would be much better to
teach rounding and leave it at that.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®