From: Darlene Caldwell <cod1765@roadrunner.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007101604:35:25
Subject: Re: Front-End Estimation - is it really helpful?

Wow! When did 3rd grade math become this confusing.....
My daughter brings home a test on front end estimation. All the work
and papers she has done before show that you are just adding the first
two numbers together and replacing everything else with zero's.  So,
for this problem 315+576 using that formula my answer would be 800 the
correct answer was 881. Which is just adding the whole number to me.
Now, I'm confused! Problem #2 and the answer 3524+106=3630, #3
$3.50+$5.75=$9.25. My daughter had no papers that matched this
formula. Any answers for me on this!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®