From: Gina <boobookitty@bellsouth.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004081008:18:17
Subject: HOW TO DO FRONT END ESTIMATION (FEE)

When my son brought his 3rd grade worksheet home that had a FEE
problem, I felt real stupid.  I had never heard of FEE and tried to
figure it out. I found a website that gave instructions on how to do
FEE that also includes some problems that instantly give you the
results to see if you are correct or not.   Of course I figured it out
AFTER I sent my son off to school. ha.  This is how FEE works.
example:  427 +  320 =    740

You are to add the first two highest place values-  Which means
I will add  4 to 3 and get 7     then I will add 2 plus 2 to get 4 and
then place zeros for the rest of the numbers

    4  2   7

+   3  2   0
______________

    7  4    0

I could believe how simple it was.   Whether it's useful or not I
don't really care,  but I wanted my son to know how to do it.  The
internet is a wonderful thing!

You can Go to this website with your child to do some practice.  It's
wonderful.

http://www.aaamath.com/B/est73ax2.htm

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question