From: Doug

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005111906:15:18
Subject: Re: front end estimation

originaly posted by: From: Ali Elghoul <elghoula_mathedu@yahoo.com> To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion Date: 2004101911:58:18 Subject: front end estimation My name is Ali Elghoul, and I am a Secondary Math Education Major at Henry Ford Community College in Dearborn, Michigan. It has been almost 12 years since I dealt with front-end estimation, but, boy, I remember it as if it was yesterday. Front-end estimation consists of working with the front-end digits of a number. Here is an example of estimating a sum of two addends using front-end estimation. Estimate 285 + 134 using front-end estimation. Add the front-end digits of 285 and 134. Change the remaining digits to 0's. Add 200 + 100 = 300 So, 300 is the front-end estimation of 285 + 134 My response: In the world of useful knowlege your answer is 119 off! If i were faced with this problem and had to make a split second answer it would be 410 this is derived from 280 and 130. But in this real world I would use my education from third grade and add it in my head and get 419! i would like to know when 300 is an accepted answer to this equation?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/