From: Doug
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005111905:15:18
Subject: Re: front end estimation

originaly posted by:

From: Ali Elghoul <elghoula_mathedu@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004101911:58:18
Subject: front end estimation

My name is Ali Elghoul, and I am a Secondary Math Education Major at
Henry Ford Community College in Dearborn, Michigan.  It has been
almost 12 years since I dealt with front-end estimation, but, boy, I
remember it as if it was yesterday.  Front-end estimation consists of
working with the front-end digits of a number.  Here is an example of
estimating a sum of two addends using front-end estimation.

Estimate 285 + 134 using front-end estimation.

Add the front-end digits of 285 and 134.  Change the remaining digits
to 0's.

Add 200 + 100 = 300

So, 300 is the front-end estimation of 285 + 134

My response:
 In the world of useful knowlege your answer is 119 off! If i were
faced with this problem and had to make a split second answer it would
be 410 this is derived from 280 and 130. But in this real world I
would use my education from third grade and add it in my head and get
419! i would like to know when 300 is an accepted answer to this
equation?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®