From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002101811:27:31
Subject: Re: Re:Front end estimation

I agree that front end estimation has its utility. For instance, dividing a multi-digit number by a multi-digit divisor. Say you wanted to divide 8678 by 421: ______ 421 )8678 This might be easy for an adult, but a young kid might not see that there are two 421's in 867. If you are a kid, you would use front end estimation and ask how many 400's are in 867. He/she would see that there are two. The next thing they could do is multiply 421 by 2 to make sure the product is less than 867. I believe this would be called front end estimation. Actually, I just call it rounding to the most significant digit (MSD).

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/