Q&A #1154

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Front End Estimation

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: AD

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003091622:34:45
Subject: Re: Re:Front end estimation

Duh. What you do really can't be compared to what the kids have to do in a classroom setting. The kids are accountable for the answers and graded accordingly. My daughter just started this junk in her 4th grade. Her teacher wants certain answers, but from what I've been reading here I'm getting that there are not exactly "correct" answers. After all, it is an ESTIMATE, not an exact science. Like a previous responder said, kids this age have no clue and no real use for FEE at this stage of the game. They need to concentrate on getting a solid foundation in the basics. I would prefer that she know her multiplication and division inside out along with measurements and fractions. I teach highschool. Do you know how many kids out there can't even use a ruler correctly? Its scary. Are there really any compelling reasons for my 4th grader to learn FEE at this time? It can wait. Maybe forever.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®