From: AD <dad@henderson.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003091621:34:45
Subject: Re: Re:Front end estimation

Duh. What you do really can't be compared to what the kids have to do
in a classroom setting. The kids are accountable for the answers and
graded accordingly. My daughter just started this junk in her 4th
grade. Her teacher wants certain answers, but from what I've been
reading here I'm getting that there are not exactly "correct" answers.
After all, it is an ESTIMATE, not an exact science. Like a previous
responder said, kids this age have no clue and no real use for FEE at
this stage of the game. They need to concentrate on getting a solid
foundation in the basics. I would prefer that she know her
multiplication and division inside out along with measurements and
fractions. I teach highschool. Do you know how many kids out there
can't even use a ruler correctly? Its scary. Are there really any
compelling reasons for my 4th grader to learn FEE at this time? It can
wait. Maybe forever.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®