Q&A #1154

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Front End Estimation

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: April

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003100119:53:15
Subject: Rounding is MORE ACCURATE!!!

FEE is good for helping in division, however, the way my daughter was quized on this topic it involved addition, subtraction, multiplication and division! The directions said "Estimate". She did and got two of the answers wrong. I have an Elementary Education Degree and I do not understand where this teaching method is useful in the problems she was given to do. 9050-6879=...According to FEE should be 3000. My daughter showed her work as 9000-7000=2000 If you actually do the problem, the actual answer is 2171. WOW my daughter seems to be a lot more accurate with her estimate. To the woman who does her budget by using FEE, you should have a lot of extra money in your budget...but then again you have 4 kids so you probably are spending it on the "fly". FEE is good for division but not good for the way they teach with addition and subtraction. I just needed to VENT!! So far my daughter's teacher is not going to give her credit for her two answers that are more accurate than her answers. Other issue is that there were only 13 questions so she has a D+ on this quiz with 4 "wrong" answers.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®