From: April <aprilwolf@marykay.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003100119:53:15
Subject: Rounding is MORE ACCURATE!!!

FEE is good for helping in division, however, the way my daughter was
quized on this topic it involved addition, subtraction, multiplication
and division!  The directions said "Estimate".  She did and got two of
the answers wrong.  I have an Elementary Education Degree and I do not
understand where this teaching method is useful in the problems she
was given to do.

9050-6879=...According to FEE should be 3000.
             My daughter showed her work as 9000-7000=2000

If you actually do the problem, the actual answer is 2171.  WOW my
daughter seems to be a lot more accurate with her estimate.  To the
woman who does her budget by using FEE, you should have a lot of extra
money in your budget...but then again you have 4 kids so you probably
are spending it on the "fly".

FEE is good for division but not good for the way they teach with
addition and subtraction.

I just needed to VENT!!  So far my daughter's teacher is not going to
give her credit for her two answers that are more accurate than her
answers.  Other issue is that there were only 13 questions so she has
a D+ on this quiz with 4 "wrong" answers.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/