Q&A #1154

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Front End Estimation

View entire discussion
[<< prev]

From: Doug

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005111906:28:19
Subject: Re: Re:Front end estimation

Originaly posted by: From: Kathy April <kathya1961@hotmail.com> To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion Date: 2002101809:12:53 Subject: Re:Front end estimation I find I personally use estimation ALL the time in everyday life as a Mom. From estimating total spending during grocery shopping, to how much time a task may take including how far to travel and average amount of time to get there, (especially considering time of day), and even rough estimates of household budgets from week to week and month to month..... all of this can be done more efficiently when doing front end estimation. I know from real life experience that it is not only very practical in getting general ideas about calculations, but also winds up being very useful in daily life when it's not necessary nor practical to try to have EXACT calculations for everything. I believe that it serves as an excellent tool for busy people who are constantly multi-tasking and need to adjust and re-adjust calculations based on changing factors in any given situation... and any parent of multiple children knows what I am talking about!!! My response: What you are refering to is estimating unknown quantities. I call that figuring, as in I figure it'll take x amount of time to get here, then x amount of time to do this then x amount of time to get there. There is no distance that you go that you know exactly how long it takes to cover. And no stop that you know exactly how long you'll be there, there are many variables. Your examples are closer to averaging, this includes shopping and budgets. You figure based on the average amounts you spend on those items or bills. FEE is being used on defined numbers.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®