From: phaynes <phaynes@ccsc.k12.in.us>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009050414:10:14
Subject: Re: mCLASS:Math

I response to mClass Math assessment. I am not convinced it is
researched based, I find that highly unlikely. Having the test timed
for 5 and 6 year olds is unfounded and cannot possibly give you an
adequate assessment. In first grade, to "get into the green"
(successful area) you have got to count to 118 in 60 seconds. ( along
with 6 other minute tests)  What on earth does that prove? By the way,
try it. you have to take a huge breath and mumble your numbers for
that even to be possible. Where is the child psychologist here, most
children are blessed with inability to hurry. That is something
developmentally not there yet! (remember telling your child to hurry
up and get their shoes on?) There is no alignment with our Indiana
Standards and I'd like to know if any state assigns timed tests to any
of their standards!? It takes at least 15 minutes per child out of my
teaching day and does not give me any knowledge that can be measured
against the state standards nor give me any idea of the child's true
math competency and their math sense.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®