Q&A #12081

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Walt

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008041305:35:42
Subject: Praxis Middle School Math

I just took the Middle School Math Praxis II exam in March for the first time and passed CT's standard with a 162 (158 is needed). I am looking to enter teaching through CT's Alternative Route to Certification program after spending the last 30 years in computers. I spent a good deal of time and money with and on prep materials but did find much in the way of help or suggestions on the internet so I'd thought I'd share some info on what was helpful and what wasn't. The ETS book is a waste of money. It costs close to %50 and has only a small portion devoted to the specifics of the Middle School Math test. The same / practice test is a good deal easier that the actual exam. The web site below offers a group of tests for either $39.95 or $59.95. It is a complete waste of your money as the test are far easier that the actual exam. So it neither prepares you adequately nor properly highlights areas of weakness you need to work on. The web site is http://www.praxismiddleschoolmath.com/ There is a testing site that provides adequate test to measure your skill level and help with incorrect answers to prepare for the test. That site is http://www.praxismathexam.com/logon.asp I used the deluxe package for Middle School for $39.95 and felt it was very much worth the cost. There are a couple of typos in the questions which I emailed them about. But nothing that kept you from getting a correct answer. They also include the use of the TI-84 and TI-89 in arriving at the answers to their exam questions. The give you four tests. There are two draw back first is that it is all on the internet and you can't easily print out the answers to study from once you take the test. The second is they are only tests no prep material. Once you've done your prep this is a good evaluative tool The best preparation and testing materials in my opinion came from a book entitled Praxis II Middle School Mathematics (test code 0069) and accompanying CD from REA (Research & Education Association). It provides instruction, and end of chapter evaluations. It was good in matching the difficulty level of the actual test and had some specific problems from it on the test. They give you two tests on CD and three in the book. I would highly recommend this for purchase. I found three other books helpful in preparing. Two are from the Cliffs Study Solver series one on Geometry and the other on Algebra. The final book was Probability DeMystified.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®