From: Gabriel Pinski

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007021919:51:15
Subject: graphical solution of the complex roots of a parabola

It suddenly occurred to me to google "parabola complex roots graphical solution" and I found this site. In Nov. 1953, as a 15 year old senior at the Bronx High School of Science in NY, I worked out the procedure for graphical visualization of the roots by using the complex plane. I submitted it as my Westinghouse project. I didn't win but did get an honorable mention. It was published in the Bronx Science Math Bulletin in 1954. I often wondered if this was a known result and if it should have been submitted to a professional publication. I have gone on to various serial careers but look back fondly on my first piece of research. G. Pinski, M.D., Ph.D.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/