From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004050408:46:51
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you can ALWAYS divide across!

Just a post script to our discussion.

The culprit in this division topic is the symbol that is used for
division, that is, the the dot over and under a bar.

 .
---
 .

Division is really best represented by a fraction.  Thus when we use
the symbol above, we should let the students know that we stil have a
numerator and a denominator.

If you have noticed, the division symbol used in the lower grades
dissapears from text books in higher level mathematics.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/