From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006102404:45:51
Subject: Reducing to lowest terms

When I first learned fractions, they would place a long vertical bar
on each side of the fraction and we would place the factor on the left
to show the common factor.

The actual expression was "Reduce to Lowest Terms."   For example,

Reduce to lowest terms:
  |  |
5 |15|       3
  |75|       25
  |  |

This never caused any confusion to me.  I don't think they use the
vertical bars any more.  But they helped a young student to know what
to do; in my opinion.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®