From: Linda Gogocha <gogocha@juno.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007083009:30:58
Subject: 5th and 6th grade math

Chicago math is the worst thing I have ever experienced with my child.
In fifth grade she fell so far behind because they skipped around so
much on concepts that she would barely understand one thing like
fractions and they were on to the next thing like geometry.  My
daughter would come home from school and I couldn't even help her with
her homework, no explanation would come home with her worksheets.  She
failed fifth grade math, and she hates math now, it was too confusing
to her, and she was not absorbing anything because they jumped around
so much.  What happened to the good old fashioned math, and where they
learned to memorize their multiplication charts, and didn't rely on a
calculator.

I will move out of our school district because of the Chicago math,
and move to a school district who teach this.  It is pretty bad when
you have to sell your home and move just to get away from a math
program that is so poorly set up.  Over half of my daughter's fifth
grade class failed Chicago math.  What does that tell you?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/