Q&A #1280

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Chicago Math

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Linda Gogocha

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007083010:30:58
Subject: 5th and 6th grade math

Chicago math is the worst thing I have ever experienced with my child. In fifth grade she fell so far behind because they skipped around so much on concepts that she would barely understand one thing like fractions and they were on to the next thing like geometry. My daughter would come home from school and I couldn't even help her with her homework, no explanation would come home with her worksheets. She failed fifth grade math, and she hates math now, it was too confusing to her, and she was not absorbing anything because they jumped around so much. What happened to the good old fashioned math, and where they learned to memorize their multiplication charts, and didn't rely on a calculator. I will move out of our school district because of the Chicago math, and move to a school district who teach this. It is pretty bad when you have to sell your home and move just to get away from a math program that is so poorly set up. Over half of my daughter's fifth grade class failed Chicago math. What does that tell you?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®