From: Deb

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005051300:03:59
Subject: Re: Every Day Math

Good luck PAREMTS with Every Day Math!! I have a daughter in third grade who is an A student, who is experiencing trouble with some of this math due to too many things introduced too fast!! I find that they do not master anything before moving on. Hence, spiral approach! There is alot of problem solving in this program and many of the problems have many steps which are confusing to an 8 year old child. This math program also gives too many ways to solve basic functions such as adding, subracting, multiplication and division. So here is the student trying to figure out which method the teacher wants them to use .. and they get mixed up. Nuts! Yes, there is a website for Every Day Math, however, I do not find it much help! Maybe some teachers are willing to stay after school to help students, but at my child's school they are not willing to. I am lining up a tutor to help my child when she goes into the fourth grade because I do not want her grades to suffer because of this math program!! I wonder, if this hard for an A/B student to do, then I pity the child who has some learning difficulties! :( Down with Chicago Math!!! In with "back to basics!" Many parents in my school system feel the same way. I am college educated and work in the school system too -- so its not like I am not educated enough to help her. If anything makes me feel incompetent, it is Every Day Math!! I believe it is called Every Day because every day I have to try to teach myself how to do math their way!! I am going to elementary school all over again with Chicago Math!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/