From: Deb <icf521@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005051300:03:59
Subject: Re: Every Day Math

Good luck PAREMTS  with Every Day Math!! I have a daughter in third
grade who is an A student, who is experiencing trouble with some of
this math due to too many things introduced too fast!!  I find that
they do not master anything before moving on. Hence, spiral approach!
There is alot of problem solving in this program and many of the
problems have many steps which are confusing to an 8 year old child.
This math program also gives too many ways to solve basic functions
such as adding, subracting, multiplication and division. So here is
the student trying to figure out which method the teacher wants them
to use .. and they get mixed up. Nuts!
Yes, there is a website for Every Day Math, however, I do not find it
much help!  Maybe some teachers are willing to stay after school to
help students, but at my child's school they are not willing to.
I am lining up a tutor to help my child when she goes into the fourth
grade because I do not want her grades to suffer because of this math
program!!  I wonder, if this hard for an A/B student to do, then I
pity the child who has some learning difficulties! :(
Down with Chicago Math!!! In with "back to basics!"  Many parents in
my school system feel the same way.  I am college educated and work in
the school system too -- so its not like I am not educated enough to
help her.  If anything makes me feel incompetent, it is Every Day
Math!!  I believe it is called Every Day because every day I have to
try to teach myself how to do math their way!!  I am going to
elementary school all over again with Chicago Math!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/