From: David <powerofall@wmconnect.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005031222:44:12
Subject: Multiplying using a Ruler or Clock

  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12

When multiplying by 2's  Ex: 2*2

Add up the number on both sides of the 2 to get your answer (1+3)=4

When multiplying by 3's Ex: 3*2

Add up all the numbers (1+2+3)=6

When multiplying by 4's and above subtract 2 from the multiplyer
(4-2) is 2. The middle number is repeated this many times (2) and the
numbers to the side are added to it to get your answer

Example 12*2=24
Subtract 2 from 12 to get 10 (repeat the middle number 10 times
1+(2*10=20)+3=24

My daughter is in the 1st grade and can do her multiplication using a
12 inch ruler or a standard analog wall clock

My question is that I cannot find any teachers that know anything
about multiplying this way. I came up with this on my own because I
wanted to help make math easy for my daughter.

You would be suprised to find out how quickly your 6 year old can
learn to multiply and have fun doing it using a wall clock or ruler.

Thanks

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®