Q&A #129

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: 1st grade math curriculum

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: David

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005031223:44:12
Subject: Multiplying using a Ruler or Clock

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 When multiplying by 2's Ex: 2*2 Add up the number on both sides of the 2 to get your answer (1+3)=4 When multiplying by 3's Ex: 3*2 Add up all the numbers (1+2+3)=6 When multiplying by 4's and above subtract 2 from the multiplyer (4-2) is 2. The middle number is repeated this many times (2) and the numbers to the side are added to it to get your answer Example 12*2=24 Subtract 2 from 12 to get 10 (repeat the middle number 10 times 1+(2*10=20)+3=24 My daughter is in the 1st grade and can do her multiplication using a 12 inch ruler or a standard analog wall clock My question is that I cannot find any teachers that know anything about multiplying this way. I came up with this on my own because I wanted to help make math easy for my daughter. You would be suprised to find out how quickly your 6 year old can learn to multiply and have fun doing it using a wall clock or ruler. Thanks

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®