Q&A #13529

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Addition and Subtaction with numbers 1-20

View entire discussion
[ next >>]

From: carol hartley

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005011809:23:12
Subject: Addition and subtraction with numbers 1-20

I agree with Ralph that 6 pages of written work is excessive, and also with his opinion that using fingers is not bad. Children that age still need to learn concretely, and should ideally have assimilated what the meaning, feel, heft, of those numbers are before being required to record in abstract figures. I don't know where you are, Ilana, but if in North America, see if you can get information on Math Their Way, a system devides by the late Mary Baratta-Lorton of California, to have children learn math according to the principles of Jean Piaget. They learn first by doing, with concrete manipulative, then represent by meaningful symbols (eg graphs showing pictograms) and then use the abstract and pretty arbitrary representations like numbers. For my money it is the best, most sensible, child-friendly way of teaching numeracy.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®