From: Owen <owenbprince@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007062913:35:33
Subject: Addition and Subtraction with numbers 1-20 without fingers

You said:
     "What is the best way to help my child understand and succeed on
problems of addition and subtraction on numbers 1-20, without using
fingers?? She is 6.5 years old."

     "I taught her to memorize up to 10 (ex: 6+3=9)and then to take
numbers up to 10 For example:16-7=? : 7+3=10 and then there are 6 from
10 to 16, so 3+6=9 and so the answer is 9. Is this acceptable?"

   I think the best way to help children understand addition and
subtraction without using fingers is a system called "DotMath for
kids."  DotMath has dice dots placed AROUND the number symbol (not on
top)  to help define what the symbols mean.  The dots are then changed
into calculator keys.  All combinations for addition and subtraction
are placed around the number symbol and linked with a line.  The keys
are on opposite sides of the number symbol and color coded(see tools
tab on web site "DotMath for kids").  These are then compared to the
digital number symbols from a calculator.  I tell children that
calculators are digital.  That means calculators count on digits (or
fingers).  If you look at the calculator numbers The digital number
four is made with 4 lines(digits), the five has 5 lines, the six has 6
lines, etc.  This helps explain WHY we use these symbols for each
number one to nine.

When children learn how a calculator works on the inside many of them
can beat the calcualtor in a race in both addition and subtraction.
This visual map helps a child see how all the combinations of addition
and subtraction are related.

You can find the web site called "DotMath for kids" with any search
bar.  This help is free if you agree to the rules of the site and to
obey the copyright law.  Please read all the rules before you copy
 from the site.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®