Q&A #13682

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Manipulatives for square roots

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Suzanne A.

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004060310:39:52
Subject: Re: Manipulatives for square roots

Hi Paul, >I think you have got it with your link. >>http://mathforum.org/~salejan/squareroot.gif Well, I must admit that I'm not totally comfortable with the idea yet but it did seem interesting to explore. >This works better than the Pythagorean Theorem because >I haven't taught them that yet. They learn it >after I teach them about irrational and rational roots. I don't know if this would give you more ideas but I wrote this lesson with Nathalie Sinclair and if your students have access to computers you might enjoy having them use the Java Sketchpad applet that she wrote: http://mathforum.org/alejandre/escot/numbers.html >Thanks very much for your patience with this. Thank you for the question! I'm enjoying thinking about it all. I'm just a bit sorry that I'm no longer in the classroom to try some of the ideas with students. >It is interesting how easy it is to demonstrate the squaring >function but to go the other way is much more work. I agree. Please let me know how things progress! -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®