Q&A #1474

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Introduction to odd and even numbers

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Jackie

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000112115:19:20
Subject: Another suggestion

One activity I have done is to read A Pair of Socks by Stuart J. Murphy. Students create a pair of socks with a matching pattern and then explore counting by twos by counting all the pairs of socks. I introduced the concept of odd as the odd sock; the one that doesn't have a mate. Then we played a game called Odds and Evens. They played this game with a partner to reinforce even and odd and also practice basic addition facts. One partner is Even and one is Odd. They make a fist and call out "1,2,3, Shoot!" Then each partner sticks out a certain number of fingers. They add their two numbers together and if the sum is odd the person who is odd gets a point or vice versa. We also look daily at a pattern of odd and even number cubes built on our calendar to correspond to the date. For example, if today is the first we put up one unifix cube. On the second day we snap a second cube to the first. On the third day we put up another cube and add the 2 + 1. On the 4th day we snap the unifix cube together with day 3 and add 2+2 to get our date. The kids soon get the idea that even days always get the cubes snapped together and add successive twos odd days have a leftover or odd one out so the number sentence always ends in +1. -Jackie , for the T2T service Thanks for visiting our on-line community. Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.com/t2t/

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®