From: Tom Hibbs <hibbs_t@cde.state.co.us>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000100213:22:46
Subject: Math Folders

When the portfolio ideas were at their peak, I used them as they were
suggested:  student written title page, student organization, best
pieces for the grading period, and written self-evaluation. After a
couple of years, it was evident that no more math was being learned,
but the portfolios took a tremendous amount of time to evaluate and
make meaningful comments.  Some teachers' experiences are different.

Over the next seven or eight years, having students keep folders,
instead of portfolios, has given me the opportunity to keep all
assignments, continue to require the student to organize their folders
with a given framework, include short problem solving situations which
usually include writing (description primarily), and longer projects
which always include writing (description, analysis, and conclusions).
The students did not keep a journal as part of their folder.  The
UCSMP series which we used includes some writing, but the classroom
assigned problem-solving gave the students the most opportunity.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/