From: Jaume Mayol <Grendll@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000092622:35:19
Subject: Re: Re: Incorporating writing into the math curriculum

I also use "journaling" in my classroom except that we call it data
and reflection log entries.  It's simply a double entry journal with
the captions data and reflection on either side of a marble notebook.
The purpose is to keep problem solving and computations related to but
apart from educational catharsis. I believe that affording students
the time to reflect on their own development is crucial.  And keeping
a record of the growth is invaluable.  The problem I've had is
managing the volume of entries.  With a 150 student load, how do I
provide constructive comments on a weekly basis for all my students.
And if I have students responding to each other, how can I monitor for
misconceptions and learning opportunities.  Last year, my kids really
took to the deliberate comments and came to expect them from me.  But
by the end of the year I was burnt.  How do you manage this dilemma?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/