Q&A #1506

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Incorporating writing into the math curriculum

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Jaume Mayol

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000092622:35:19
Subject: Re: Re: Incorporating writing into the math curriculum

I also use "journaling" in my classroom except that we call it data and reflection log entries. It's simply a double entry journal with the captions data and reflection on either side of a marble notebook. The purpose is to keep problem solving and computations related to but apart from educational catharsis. I believe that affording students the time to reflect on their own development is crucial. And keeping a record of the growth is invaluable. The problem I've had is managing the volume of entries. With a 150 student load, how do I provide constructive comments on a weekly basis for all my students. And if I have students responding to each other, how can I monitor for misconceptions and learning opportunities. Last year, my kids really took to the deliberate comments and came to expect them from me. But by the end of the year I was burnt. How do you manage this dilemma?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®