From: yong leuterio <yong.rel@mailcity.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999092005:30:21
Subject: journal writing

ms. rosemary,

i have read of your inquiry regarding integrating journal writing in
the math curriculum.  at present i am enrolled in one of the
universities here in the Philippines taking up master of science in
math education.

our teacher in two of our subjects makes use of journal writing as a
gauge of how things are going.  at the start, it was kind of weird or
different...we were not used to doing an activity that looks like a
diary writing activity in a language class.  i never realized its
potential not until we have done it.  we were made to read a book that
discussed the merits of journal making and at the rate things are
going, i can say that it really helps...it provides a moment for
reflection and for savouring the delight or even the not-so-beautiful
mathematical experiences in the classroom.

it's one moment for reflections, for internalization and for basically
coming to terms with what mathematics is all about in its efforts of
humanizing its otherwise rigid features.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/