Q&A #1506

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Incorporating writing into the math curriculum

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: yong leuterio

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999092005:30:21
Subject: journal writing

20 sept. 1999 ms. rosemary, i have read of your inquiry regarding integrating journal writing in the math curriculum. at present i am enrolled in one of the universities here in the Philippines taking up master of science in math education. our teacher in two of our subjects makes use of journal writing as a gauge of how things are going. at the start, it was kind of weird or different...we were not used to doing an activity that looks like a diary writing activity in a language class. i never realized its potential not until we have done it. we were made to read a book that discussed the merits of journal making and at the rate things are going, i can say that it really helps...it provides a moment for reflection and for savouring the delight or even the not-so-beautiful mathematical experiences in the classroom. it's one moment for reflections, for internalization and for basically coming to terms with what mathematics is all about in its efforts of humanizing its otherwise rigid features.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®