From: joan

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2011010910:19:37
Subject: multiplication

Many students come into my class saying, "I know my 9's because of the 9 trick." However, they don't UNDERSTAND how to count in multiples of 9. 9, 18, 27 etc. I teach my students multiples at the beginning of the year and have them practice writing multiples to 12. We practice multiples around the room, going to lunch, etc. My goal is for my students to understand their multiplication facts not memorize them. For struggling students I use the Al Abacus by Joan Coter which shows multiples in a concrete way. I also use Joan Cotters math games.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/