From: Owen
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006071822:26:08
Subject: Subtraction

You can find information on how to help children undersand subtraction
on the DotMath for kids web site at:

http://dotmath.tripod.com/

     This week,   I taught a 7 year-old girl (first grader) the
Dotmath system.   We spent about an hour on it.  During the lesson she
wanted to check her answers with the regular calculator but it went
dead.  The solar panel was of no help.  She learned why she should
depend on herself and not on a calculator that can fail.

   Later she  had a race against her father.   He had a regular
calculator and she had a paper Dotmath calculator (no batteries).
She was asked  combinations of addition and subtraction up to the
number 9.  She got every answer correct and was able to give the
answer before her father could type the question into the regular
calculator.   If this system is taught correctly the children can beat
the regular calculator.

Owen

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question