From: Roger <rbreen@fccj.edu>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007031511:56:04
Subject: Re: Re: Re: fractions; correction to my last

.66 = 66/100 = 33/50

.66 does not equal 2/3

The decimal for 2/3 is called a repeating decimal. That,  there is no
last digit in the decimal. We can, however,  determine the digit or
series of digits that repeat.

Example:  1/7 when converted to a decimal is a repeating decimal. The
digits that repeat are 142857.

1/7 = .142857142857142857... ( The three periods indicating that the
pattern continues without end. )

1/7 rounded to 2 decimal places is .14

.67 is the decimal for 2/3 rounded to 2 decimal places.
.33 is the decimal for 1/3 rounded to 2 decimal places.

Note: Originally, what we now call fractions were called common
fractions, and what we now call decimals we called decimal fractions.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/