From: Owen <owenbprince@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007041115:39:18
Subject: Re: fractions

Ann Carlyle said:
     "There are commercial products called fraction bars, which are
also useful. I spent almost all of fifth grade with my students making
various equations using fraction bars, pattern blocks, cuisenaire rods
and measuring cups before the students started trying to use paper and
pencil to compute with fractions. This foundation served them well,
because they had mental pictures of the fractions"
Ann Carlyle
 -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Judy said:
     "When children build concrete examples of mathematical concepts,
they can visualize and understand better"
Judy, for the Teacher2Teacher servic

     I think Ann and Judy from the Teacher2Teacher service gave very
good advice about this topic.  The mental pictures that Ann talks
about and the "visualize mathematical concepts that Judy talk about
are very important concepts to help children understand
all math as well as fractions.  The "dotmath for kids" system has
these concepts to help children learn math.  There is a page for
fractions to help the child understand both the visual and the numbers
for fractions on the same page.  The top has the visual fraction and
the bottom of the page is where they put the numbers
to show how to work with the numbers as fractions.  You may use this
chart for free if you agree to the rules of the "dotmath for kids" web
site.

You can find the site with any search button.  Use "dotmath for kids"
as the search words.

Owen

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question