From: Adriana Harkema <aharkema@redeemer.ca>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008100318:24:06
Subject: Improper Fractions

I'm trying to write a lesson plan for relating improper fractions to
mixed fractions. First, I was hoping someone had a unique way of
introducing this using food (my theme for the fractions unit). Second,
when explaining why 11/5 is 2 1/5 and then using a diagram, why is the
diagram illustrating 11/5 not 11/15. Go to this website if you are
unclear on what diagram I am talking about.
http://www.mathexpression.com/improper-fractions.html

I understand they are expressing it in terms of a set of 5, but when I
look at that picture I don't understand how it can not be 11/15. What
would I tell a student if they asked the same question.

Adriana Harkema

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®