From: Lynda <lyndapuryear@msn.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007033021:47:33
Subject: Re: Kumon - our experience

I have an 8 yr old daughter who has been doing Kumon consistently
since kindergarten (in addition to other extra-curricular math
enrichment activities that are more conceptual).  I enrolled her in an
effort to develop strong overall math skills proactively as opposed to
for her to feel so competent and capable because of Kumon.  Only now
that she's headed for 4th grade next year, I have concerns that she'll
have the intellectual imposition of Everyday Math and the frustration
of an emphasis that favors demonstrating understanding in a dictated
way, versus demonstrating competence at calculations quickly and
accurately. Even if Everyday Math sought to have children demonstrate
their understanding in a way that makes sense to THEM, it would be
better because I've heard horror stories of disheartened EM students
who had formerly been high performers in math before the EM curriculum
had been thrust upon them.  What type of preparation would you
recommend she undergo to obviate the possibility of frustration and
failure?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®