From: Lynda

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007033021:47:33
Subject: Re: Kumon - our experience

I have an 8 yr old daughter who has been doing Kumon consistently since kindergarten (in addition to other extra-curricular math enrichment activities that are more conceptual). I enrolled her in an effort to develop strong overall math skills proactively as opposed to in response to a need for remediation. As with your child, it's great for her to feel so competent and capable because of Kumon. Only now that she's headed for 4th grade next year, I have concerns that she'll have the intellectual imposition of Everyday Math and the frustration of an emphasis that favors demonstrating understanding in a dictated way, versus demonstrating competence at calculations quickly and accurately. Even if Everyday Math sought to have children demonstrate their understanding in a way that makes sense to THEM, it would be better because I've heard horror stories of disheartened EM students who had formerly been high performers in math before the EM curriculum had been thrust upon them. What type of preparation would you recommend she undergo to obviate the possibility of frustration and failure?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/