From: Joan Ditges

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006040421:03:20
Subject: Kumon makes a difference

I have two children in public school, one in third grade and one in fifth. This past September I enrolled my oldest in Kumon math after she repeatedly came home with homework that she had no clue how to complete. We have the everyday math programs at our school. Spiral learning might be great in theory but it does not allow for mastery before the children move on to another level. Our spiral was spiralling in the wrong direction. With the help of Kumon math, my fifth grader has gained more confidence in math. She happily, yes happily, completes her math worksheets and actually prefers going to our Kumon tutor twice a week for the reinforcement she gets there. She will be at grade level this coming September when she enters middle school after barely understanding a second grade level before Kumon. I enrolled my third grader for the practice and to avoid finding myself in a similar situation when she hits fifth grade. My third grader is also in Kumon reading. Where once her writing was sloppy, and punctuation and capitalization were non existent, I now see neatly written pages that are properly punctuated and capitalized. She understands what she reads and can recount that back to me. Her reading skills and proficiency have improved as well. I'm pleased, more than pleased with Kumon. I can see why teachers might feel threatened by Kumon. It is teaching my kids everything that they weren't getting in school. Creativity and choice is great but I want children that can communicate, read, write and do math so they can make their way in the world. Kumon is providing that.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/