From: Joan Ditges <joni@estreet.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006040420:03:20
Subject: Kumon makes a difference

I have two children in public school, one in third grade and one in
fifth. This past September I enrolled my oldest in Kumon math after
she repeatedly came home with homework that she had no clue how to
complete. We have the everyday math programs at our school. Spiral
learning might be great in theory but it does not allow for mastery
before the children move on to another level. Our spiral was
spiralling in the wrong direction. With the help of Kumon math, my
fifth grader has gained more confidence in math. She happily, yes
happily, completes her math worksheets and actually prefers going to
our Kumon tutor twice a week for the reinforcement she gets there. She
will be at grade level this coming September when she enters middle
school after barely understanding a second grade level before Kumon. I
enrolled my third grader for the practice and to avoid finding myself
in a similar situation when she hits fifth grade. My third grader is
also in Kumon reading. Where once her writing was sloppy, and
punctuation and capitalization were non existent, I now see neatly
written pages that are properly punctuated and capitalized. She
understands what she reads and can recount that back to me. Her
reading skills and proficiency have improved as well. I'm pleased,
more than pleased with Kumon. I can see why teachers might feel
threatened by Kumon. It is teaching my kids everything that they
weren't getting in school. Creativity and choice is great but I want
children that can communicate, read, write and do math so they can
make their way in the world. Kumon is providing that.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/