Q&A #1543

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Kumon math method

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: csuosual

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007012818:05:22
Subject: TIMSS /Social Issues

I need to do a power point presentation concernin g a social issue. I need to state the issue and support the isssue with research. I have researched TIMSS - math and purchased a few published reports. I work in an urban setting and am alarm to the math concepts the students have yet to master but instruction is presented to them at their grade level. High-stake testing has contributed to push forward without the concepts being mastered. It seems reading adjustments have been made decades ago; phonemic awareness, phonics, sight words, context clues, etc. We do not provide this consideration for math. I have made the assumption. elementary teachers may not have a comfort level with instructing math as they do with language arts. In addition, math is taught as large group instruction while is seems differences are recognized more in the LA area. I would welcome input to state math reform as a social issues.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®