From: csuosual <caoal@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007012817:05:22
Subject: TIMSS /Social Issues

I need to do a power point presentation concernin g a social issue. I
need to state the issue and support the isssue with research. I have
researched TIMSS - math and purchased a few published reports. I work
in an urban setting and am alarm to the math concepts the students
have yet to master but instruction is presented to them at their grade
level. High-stake testing has contributed to push forward without the
concepts being mastered. It seems reading adjustments have been made
decades ago; phonemic awareness, phonics, sight words, context clues,
etc. We do not provide this consideration for math. I have made the
assumption. elementary teachers may not have a comfort level with
instructing math as they do with language arts. In addition, math is
taught as large group instruction while is seems differences are
recognized more in the LA area. I would welcome input to state math
reform as a social issues.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®