From: Sue Clark <sueclark@cheos.ubc.ca>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005110701:52:45
Subject: Re: Kumon math method

There are provincial assessment tests done in British Columbia.  My
son was not in Kumon, but scored at the top of his class in both his
grade 4 and grade 7 numeracy testing.   The students who took Kumon in
his class did not become math geniuses; they were still relatively
slow on the uptake when it came to understanding new concepts.

Kumon is not for everyone.   I am amazed at how series of arithmetic
exercises are being credited with making kids good at mathematics.   I
also hate the idea of having to beat the clock to advance.    My kids
were both already receiving far too much elementary-school homework.
It would be cruel to send them to Kumon in place of relaxing or
playing sports.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®