From: Sue Clark

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005110702:52:45
Subject: Re: Kumon math method

There are provincial assessment tests done in British Columbia. My son was not in Kumon, but scored at the top of his class in both his grade 4 and grade 7 numeracy testing. The students who took Kumon in his class did not become math geniuses; they were still relatively slow on the uptake when it came to understanding new concepts. Kumon is not for everyone. I am amazed at how series of arithmetic exercises are being credited with making kids good at mathematics. I also hate the idea of having to beat the clock to advance. My kids were both already receiving far too much elementary-school homework. It would be cruel to send them to Kumon in place of relaxing or playing sports.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/