From: Robin Kelly

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005012715:22:26
Subject: Kumon - our experience

My daughter (age 6) was lagging behind her classmates (she is at an International Baccalaureate school using Everyday Math) in first grade. We started Kumon in November and she is now able to do the required work and beyond. I believe there are many benefits to Everyday Math, but the "math as games" approach was not concrete enough for her - once she figured out that she could get the "right answer" her confidence soared. She really is an entirely different kid when it comes to her love of math. I don't believe Kumon alone would be ideal for any child but it really helped my daughter and is a great complement to Everyday Math. I don't forsee discontinuing her Kumon studies anytime soon! My daughter's teacher has been so impressed with the improvement that she asked what our secret is -- she is now recommending the program to other parents whose kids are either lagging behind or not being challenged enough. Check out kumon.com for more information. Robin

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/