From: Owen
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007012314:51:38
Subject: Re: Re: Kumon - our experience

From: claudine <claudineashburn@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007012308:06:54
Subject: Re: Kumon - our experience

Thank you for this post.  I have a second grader - with more children
to follow, taking everyday math, and was wondering what could fill in
the gaps. How is your daughter doing now? How do you feel about
everyday math?  Personally, I could do without it.  I have had to do
an awful lot of supplementing - and my daughter placed out of second
grade math!

Thanks,
Claudine

Dear Claudine:
  What do you mean when you say your daughter placed out of second
grade math?  I do not know what placed out means (is that good or
bad?)   Do you think the school and teachers should teach your child
everything there is to know about Math or should it be shared?  It
sounds like the work you have to do with your daughter is a chore and
not a joy.  Is this because you do not like math?
   The fact that you came here shows to me that you care a lot about
you children and want to help them do well in math.

  You said "What could fill in the gaps of everyday math?"  There are
a lot of web site that claim to have the best program to teach math.
You will need to be the expert for your children and research to find
what does work for them.   The "DotMath for kids" site has free
graphics you should look at to see if they would be of help.  You can
find the site if you type  "Dotmath for kids" into a seach box. I hope
this helps you find the help you need to fill in the gaps.

Owen

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®