From: Megan Rubi <mrubi@cnusd.k12.ca.us>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006031418:41:18
Subject: Making math fun for students

I have started to attempt some fun activities with my geometry
students.  I have had them make enlargement posters that use their
knowledge of scale factor, I also had them make posters for
trigonometric functions.  They had to come up with their own saying or
mneumonic device to remember sine, cosine, and tangent.  At my school
site, we have also used "Walking Trails."  This is an activity where
the students have to go and use their knowledge of geometry to find
certain measurements of objects around the school.  I first give them
a walking trail to follow where they have to find the height of the
flag pole using similar triangles and shadows, they also have to find
the area of objects around campus such as the door to a classroom.
This just gets the students moving around and outside instead of
sitting at their desks.  They seem to like that.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/