Q&A #1589

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Math text

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Timothy L. Warkentin

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002012213:34:25
Subject: Saxon Mathematics

I taught high school mathematics (9-12, Alg. I,II,III, and Calculus) from Saxon texts for 10 years and was extremely pleased. My students were always at least a semester ahead of transfer students and any student that finished Alg. III could easily test out of College Algebra. My Calculus students consistently were placed in honor's Calculus courses at K-State and KU. ACT scores in mathematics would average somewhere between 10-20 percentage points higher than other areas. I believe that teachers who have not liked the Saxon textbooks do not follow the material as laid out by the text. They do not finish the books or leave out lessons because they demand much more than other texts. It is sometimes galling for teachers to follow a program that does not allow them to wander off and to their own thing. This then cripples the program for the next year and the results are poor at the end of 4 years. If the books are used as intended the results are dramatically better than other texts.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®