From: Timothy L. Warkentin <tlwarkentin@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002012213:34:25
Subject: Saxon Mathematics

I taught high school mathematics (9-12, Alg. I,II,III, and Calculus)
 from Saxon texts for 10 years and was extremely pleased. My students
were always at least a semester ahead of transfer students and any
student that finished Alg. III could easily test out of College
Algebra. My Calculus students consistently were placed in honor's
Calculus courses at K-State and KU. ACT scores in mathematics would
average somewhere between 10-20 percentage points higher than other
areas.

I believe that teachers who have not liked the Saxon textbooks do not
follow the material as laid out by the text. They do not finish the
books or leave out lessons because they demand much more than other
texts. It is sometimes galling for teachers to follow a program that
does not allow them to wander off and to their own thing. This then
cripples the program for the next year and the results are poor at the
end of 4 years.

If the books are used as intended the results are dramatically better
than other texts.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®