From: Lynda Wathen

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004020803:33:12
Subject: Re: Saxon Mathematics

In college, students are tested on Chapters that have been taught. Therefore, the teacher and the student could pinpoint problem areas. Using Saxon, I feel, is very difficult to pinpoint problem areas. The tests and the problem sets that come with the text do not give the teacher enough information to evaluate this. When I teach a lesson and assign the problem set for that lesson, there may be only 2-3 problems that focus on what was taught. I feel the purpose of homework is to practice what was taught. The students are not getting enough practice using the problem sets. Tests are designed to be given after 5 (or 10) lessons have been covered. Again the tests do not have enough problems from the lessons taught to pinpoint problem areas. As a mother, I have found it difficult to prepare my child to study for tests because the material on the tests may cover lessons previously taught.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/