From: Lynda Wathen <lwathen@henderson.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004020803:33:12
Subject: Re: Saxon Mathematics

In college, students are tested on Chapters that have been taught.
Therefore, the teacher and the student could pinpoint problem areas.
Using Saxon, I feel, is very difficult to pinpoint problem areas.  The
tests and the problem sets that come with the text do not give the
teacher enough information to evaluate this.  When I teach a lesson
and assign the problem set for that lesson, there may be only 2-3
problems that focus on what was taught.  I feel the purpose of
homework is to practice what was taught.  The students are not getting
enough practice using the problem sets.  Tests are designed to be
given after 5 (or 10) lessons have been covered.  Again the tests do
not have enough problems from the lessons taught to pinpoint problem
areas.

As a mother, I have found it difficult to prepare my child to study
for tests because the material on the tests may cover lessons
previously taught.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®