From: Karen Bluth Gill <kbgill@esper.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002012617:59:20
Subject: Saxon

I'm using the Saxon series for Math 76 through Algebra 1.  It seems to
be working pretty well for most of the levels; however, I have some
reservations about it.  For one, there is little or no application to
real life situations, in algebra particularly many of the problems
seem unnecessarily complicated(i.e. if the students know the concepts,
why is it necessary for them to do one with three sets of
brackets/parentheses, four negative signs, three negative exponents,
etc.)  I find that I don't have enough time to do the really "fun"
parts of math, i.e. problem-solving, hands-on activities, math in art
and music, etc. I find that the kids rush through their work because
they feel that it's too much for them weekly, and are not thorough in
their work.  I know Saxon says that you must do every problem in order
for it to "work", however, I'm thinking about having the students do
just odd problems.  Has anyone tried this?  Thanks.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/