Q&A #1589

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Math text

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Gordon Bockus

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002011601:38:25
Subject: Re: Saxon

I remember teaching out of the original Saxon Algebra Text book. It is not one of my fondest memories. I have also found that Saxon is one area of Mathematics Publishing and Idealology that has no grey area, you are either a total believer or a totally against it. My problem with saxon is not the success that some students seem to have in the program but what happens to them if they go to a higher level where saxon is not used. I have seen good(?) saxon students fall a grade level or two. If you are going to use saxon it needs to be your entire program and a student must stick with it all the way through grade 12. It also allows no flexibility in assignments. But some may consider it a strength. I do not have the answer to this, but I will not adopt his books for secondary mathematics!!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®