From: Gordon Bockus <mrbockus@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002011600:38:25
Subject: Re: Saxon

I remember teaching out of the original Saxon Algebra Text book. It is
not one of my fondest memories. I have also found that Saxon is one
area of Mathematics Publishing and Idealology that has no grey area,
you are either a total believer or a totally against it.  My problem
with saxon is not the success that some students seem to have in the
program but what happens to them if they go to a higher level where
saxon is not used. I have seen good(?) saxon students fall a grade
level or two.  If you are going to use saxon it needs to be your
entire program and a student must stick with it all the way through
grade 12. It also allows no flexibility in assignments. But some may
consider it a strength.
I do not have the answer to this, but I will not adopt his books for
secondary mathematics!!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®