From: Rebecca

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000062115:50:07
Subject: Addition/Subtraction facts

I home-school my son, he is in the first grade, and is a very bright student. He knows well how to add numbers to the thousands (factual as well as conceptually what he doing), multiple numbers in a row, carrying over. He also knows how to subtract the same way (up to the hundreds, borrowing, etc.). Conceptually he understands it well and can repeat it over and over. The problem is his math facts. Conceptually we are ready to begin pre-multiplication, by I can't and won't until he has his math facts learned. He doesn't see the point in it, but will do it. He can recite up to the 6's in addition with the flashcards without flinching, but when it comes to doing it on a worksheet or orally, he has a difficult time recalling the sum. I know that he is beginning to dislike math because he feels it is mundane right now. When we are learning concepts in math, he loves math. How do I keep his interest in math peaked, and yet insist that he learns his facts before we move on? Is there a compromise there, or should I stick to the idea of knowing them solidly before we move on? Thank you for your help.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/