From: Mike Stuart <mikstu87@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004032722:56:53
Subject: Re: Maths and Skate-boarding

I have taught low achieving and at-risk 9th graders for years, and I
see a lot of skateboarders.

They catch on real fast to the idea that a "180" sends you back the
way you came.  A "360" is a complete circle.

Tony Hawke did a "900".  Many of my students, who share with me that
they despise math, know what Hawke did but don't know why it is called
a 900.  (two revolutions = 360x2=720; plus a half revolution=180:
Total=900)

You can teach circumference in terms of how far will you go if your
wheels turn once.  Also, how many turns to get a block, or something.

If you find a program I would be glad to know about it.  I just make
this stuff up as we go along.

Mike Stuart

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question