Q&A #1604

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Maths and Skate-boarding

View entire discussion
[<< prev]

From: Mike Stuart

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004032723:56:53
Subject: Re: Maths and Skate-boarding

I have taught low achieving and at-risk 9th graders for years, and I see a lot of skateboarders. They catch on real fast to the idea that a "180" sends you back the way you came. A "360" is a complete circle. Tony Hawke did a "900". Many of my students, who share with me that they despise math, know what Hawke did but don't know why it is called a 900. (two revolutions = 360x2=720; plus a half revolution=180: Total=900) You can teach circumference in terms of how far will you go if your wheels turn once. Also, how many turns to get a block, or something. If you find a program I would be glad to know about it. I just make this stuff up as we go along. Mike Stuart

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®