From: Loyd <Loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2011010313:02:00
Subject: Re: 120 degree angle contruction?

On 2007022717:17:31, emily wrote:

>I have a geometry project due, and I have to construct a 120 degree
>angle only using a straightedge and a compass. can anyone help me??

Go to this site and see the method for constructing a 30 degree angle.
Add that to a 90 degree angle (by constructing a square) and you have
a 120 degree angle.

http://www.mathopenref.com/constangle30.html

When I first saw this problem, I thought of my high school geometry
when some of my friends tried to trisect an angle with only a
staightedge and compass.  So, my first thought was it would be
impossible.  But for a 30 degree angle, a neat construction is shown
on the above web site that uses only a straightedge and compass.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/