From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005042521:17:05
Subject: Re: Favorite Manipulatives for lower grades

On 2005042509:13:44, Patrick Mmifinyana wrote:

>Can you please define what manipulative's are in the context of
>teaching and give examples of non mathematic nature.

Some of my favorite manipulative's are:

Fraction stacks and circles.  These give a good visual to the student
so he can have a picture of what is meant by say, 1/5.

Number lines are great for young kids in learning to add and subtract.
Also, similar to a number line is a string of about 31 beads on a wire
so that student can add and subtract by bead counting.

Of course there is play money to teach making change, counting money
etc.

Play Clocks and ink stamps that imprint clocks in both digital and
analog format on paper.  Helps student to learn to tell time.

Flash cards are useful to help learn addition facts.  Myself, I leaned
at home.  My older sister flashed the cards for me and I learned
fairly easy that way.  This is one way families can help.

Base 10 blocks are very useful to help learn place value.

Some of the Kraft mayo or salad dressing jars are useful in teaching
liquid measure for cups, pints, and quarts.  That is some of the sizes
they come in.

Others will be able to give more examples.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/