From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003020602:58:14
Subject: TI-89 Graphing Calculator

According to the note on the packaging material for the TI-89, the calculator is, "Permitted or Required on AP, PSAT, NMSQT, and SAT I/II Tests." I recently bought a TI-89 and am amazed of what it can do. I will also say, a student who buys one of the above is wasting his money unless he/she is serious about mathematics. If a student could learn to use say 75% the features of these calculator, he/she would have to already know quite a lot of mathematics. It is definitely not a calculator for the novice, but the AP Calculus student/teacher should find it a very useful tool. I definitely think these devices will revolutionize the way we do mathematics in the future. If I was just now entering college and planned to major in math or engineering, I would certainly have one of these devices. I also think a practicing engineer would profit by owning one of these calculators. I would certainly recommend this calculator for a serious student who has already had at least pre-calculus. It finds primes, factors, expands, finds LCM, and a host of other things such as vectors, calculus etc. With the "Pretty Print" mode the solutions appear as they would in a text book. Great machine!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/