From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003020601:58:14
Subject: TI-89 Graphing Calculator

According to the note on the packaging material for the TI-89, the
calculator is, "Permitted or Required on AP, PSAT, NMSQT, and SAT I/II
Tests."

I recently bought a TI-89 and am amazed of what it can do.  I will
also say, a student who buys one of the above is wasting his money
unless he/she is serious about mathematics.   If a student could learn
to use say 75% the features of these calculator, he/she would have to
already know quite a lot of mathematics.

It is definitely not a calculator for the novice, but the AP Calculus
student/teacher should find it a very useful tool. I definitely think
these devices will revolutionize the way we do mathematics in the
future.

If I was just now entering college and planned to major in math or
engineering, I would certainly have one of these devices.  I also
think a practicing engineer would profit by owning one of these
calculators.

I would certainly recommend this calculator for a serious student who
has already had at least pre-calculus.

It finds primes, factors, expands, finds LCM, and a host of other
things such as vectors, calculus etc.  With the "Pretty Print" mode
the solutions appear as they would in a text book.

Great machine!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®