From: christine <isosceles75@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001111410:38:29
Subject: Re: Re: When to use graphing calculators

I find that it is important that students understand concepts and do
not become dependent of their graphing calculators.  I feel the same
way about scientific calculators. I am finding that many students are
so dependent on them they cannot perform simple operaitons with
positive and negative numbers.  They also are weak in operations with
fractions.  Of course both scientific and graphing calulators can help
students who do not have strong math skills and allow them to perform
at higher levels but I am finding that students that have potential to
perform such operations on their own do not get enough practice.  In
order to avoid such deficiencies, we must make sure students can graph
functions, solve systems etc... on thier own before they are allowed
to take exams with graphing calculators.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/