Q&A #1659

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Graphing calculators

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: christine

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001111410:38:29
Subject: Re: Re: When to use graphing calculators

I find that it is important that students understand concepts and do not become dependent of their graphing calculators. I feel the same way about scientific calculators. I am finding that many students are so dependent on them they cannot perform simple operaitons with positive and negative numbers. They also are weak in operations with fractions. Of course both scientific and graphing calulators can help students who do not have strong math skills and allow them to perform at higher levels but I am finding that students that have potential to perform such operations on their own do not get enough practice. In order to avoid such deficiencies, we must make sure students can graph functions, solve systems etc... on thier own before they are allowed to take exams with graphing calculators.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®