From: OP <owenbprince@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006042713:38:04
Subject: converting metric

Dear Tina:
     You said   "I explained the decimal always goes after the ones
digit but that didn't seem to sink in - has anyone heard of a charting
the pattern type method like this for teaching conversion and if so,
any suggestions?
     We've tried talking about moving the decimal point in the
measurement number based on steps up or down in the metric units but
that got a bunch of blank stares too.
      I'm trying to break this down as simply as possible and am
hoping someone has had experience with this method and can offer
input/advice."

My advice is:
I  use a paper calculator that has metric on it to help the children
visulize what you are talking about.   My calculator has:    kind
-hearts- dont- make- dareing- chess -moves,  but you can use any set
of words on the calculator you want.   If you want a copy of the paper
calculator you can get one at  "DotMath for kids"
http://dotmath.tripod.com/       it will be under tools.     I hope
this helps remove the blank stares that you are getting.

Owen Prince

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®