From: ann <ann_cgi@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006082700:09:14
Subject: Re: CGI Math

I disagree with you.  I do not think of CGI as story problems.  CGI is
much richer than that.  The story problems give us (the teachers) a
framework to help us think about the student' thinking.  The knowledge
of developmental strategies is another framework.  The more we
know/understand about what our students know/understand, the better we
are at making instructional decisions.   CGI is much more about
teaches making good instructional decisions.  We are also able to gain
knowledge about strategy and understanding from number sentences.  You
are right though children enter into conversations about mathematical
ideas.
If CGI were just word problems then we would just be buying the books
of  story problems at the local teacher store.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/