From: ann

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006082700:09:14
Subject: Re: CGI Math

I disagree with you. I do not think of CGI as story problems. CGI is much richer than that. The story problems give us (the teachers) a framework to help us think about the student' thinking. The knowledge of developmental strategies is another framework. The more we know/understand about what our students know/understand, the better we are at making instructional decisions. CGI is much more about teaches making good instructional decisions. We are also able to gain knowledge about strategy and understanding from number sentences. You are right though children enter into conversations about mathematical ideas. If CGI were just word problems then we would just be buying the books of story problems at the local teacher store.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/