From: Dianne Unger <dunger@epsb.edmonton.ab.ca>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001112715:22:46
Subject: "Bats on Parade"

I have used Kathi Appelt's excellent book "Bats on Parade" to help
with the concept of building arrays. The book has brilliantly coloured
illustrations as well as exciting and descriptive language.
Before I read this book to students, I tell them that the book tells a
story and it also gives the meaning of array. I direct them to think
about what an array could be based on the story. Then, I read the
story aloud. The students inevitably determine that an array is the
arrangment of objects in columns and rows.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/